Mrs. Sandy Jones
Course Description: This course is a combined study of world literature, narrative, and expository composition, library skills, vocabulary studies, grammatical usage, and printed consumer materials.
Course Objectives: The student will…
1. Participate in a variety of small group activities.
2. Make and evaluate oral presentations.
3. Read and interpret a variety of printed consumer materials.
4. Read and critique a variety of literary genres.
5. Develop and critique a variety of writings.
6. Participate in a research project.
7. Improve vocabulary skills.
Units of Study (Including SOL’s covered):
· Short Stories (10.1-10.3; 10.7-10.9)
· Poetry (10.3, 10.5, 10.9)
· Drama (10.1-10.3; 10.6-10.9)
· Research (10.7-10.10.10)
· Continuing Vocabulary Studies (10.7)
· Independent Reading (10.1-10.3; 10.7-10.9)
· Novel (10.3; 10-7-10.9)
· Ongoing Writing Activities (10.7-10.9)
· Printed Consumer Materials (10.4)
· Oral History
· Book Report
· Group Presentation
Materials (Bring Every Day)
· Pen or pencil
25% Compositions and Projects
20% Nine Weeks Assessments
20% Journals, Daily Grades, and Quizzes
*Over the course of the short story unit, the class will focus on improving skills in reading comprehension and applying the plot format to selected readings.
Monday,December 2- Class will define vocabulary 7 and continue reading Homecoming.
Tuesday, December 3 - Class will meet in the library for instruction on citation usage.
Wednesday, December 4- Class will check vocabulary and take a quiz on Part 2 of Homecoming.
Thursday, December 5- Persuasive paper rewrites due.
Friday, December 6- Class will take vocabular y7 test and continue reading the class novel .