Mrs. Sandy Jones
Course Description: Introduction to and practice in interviewing, writing, and publication of news.
o The importance of communication in society
o The importance of objectivity in reporting
· Identify effective leads
· Distinguish between libel and slander
· Identify and implement five elements of a lead
· Write headlines
· Understand and implement newspaper layout
· Use oral and written methods to critique school, local, and national journalists
· Selection and introduction of guest speakers
· Mock newscasts
· Weekly interviews and story assignments
· Publication of school newspaper
Materials: (Every Day)
· Pen or pencil
50% News, Stories, and Projects
20% Nine Weeks Assessments
20% Daily Grades
Planning Period: Sixth Period
Monday, December 2 - Class will distribute paper 3.
Tuesday, December 3 - Class will break into groups and begin work on the holiday mini mag.
Wednesday,December 4- Class will conduct interviews.
Thursday,December 5- Class will continue work on mini mag.
Friday, December 6 - Class will start work on layout.