Mrs. Sandy Jones
Course Description: Introduction to and practice in interviewing, writing, and publication of news.
o The importance of communication in society
o The importance of objectivity in reporting
· Identify effective leads
· Distinguish between libel and slander
· Identify and implement five elements of a lead
· Write headlines
· Understand and implement newspaper layout
· Use oral and written methods to critique school, local, and national journalists
· Selection and introduction of guest speakers
· Mock newscasts
· Weekly interviews and story assignments
· Publication of school newspaper
Materials: (Every Day)
· Pen or pencil
50% News, Stories, and Projects
20% Nine Weeks Assessments
20% Daily Grades
Planning Period: Sixth Period
Monday, April 7- Class will write questions and set up interviews.
Tuesday, April 8 - Class will conduct interviews.
Wednesday, April 9 - Class will finish interviews and begin work on their second story for the fourth nine weeks.
Thursday, April 10 - Class will edit stories.
Friday, April 11- Class will print and submit stories.