Mrs. Sandy Jones
Course Description: Introduction to and practice in interviewing, writing, and publication of news.
o The importance of communication in society
o The importance of objectivity in reporting
· Identify effective leads
· Distinguish between libel and slander
· Identify and implement five elements of a lead
· Write headlines
· Understand and implement newspaper layout
· Use oral and written methods to critique school, local, and national journalists
· Selection and introduction of guest speakers
· Mock newscasts
· Weekly interviews and story assignments
· Publication of school newspaper
Materials: (Every Day)
· Pen or pencil
50% News, Stories, and Projects
20% Nine Weeks Assessments
20% Daily Grades
Planning Period: Sixth Period
Monday, April 29- Class will continue to work on group mini-mag.
Tuesday, April 30- Class will complete group mini-mag to be turned in at the end fo the period.
Wednesday, May 1 - Class will discuss hot topics in Journalism and learning about the format of Socratic Seminar.
Thursday, May 2- Class will participate in a Socratic Seminar on a hot topic in Journalism.
Friday, May 3- Class will finsih up Socractic Seminar.