Mrs. Sandy Jones
Course Description: Introduction to and practice in interviewing, writing, and publication of news.
o The importance of communication in society
o The importance of objectivity in reporting
· Identify effective leads
· Distinguish between libel and slander
· Identify and implement five elements of a lead
· Write headlines
· Understand and implement newspaper layout
· Use oral and written methods to critique school, local, and national journalists
· Selection and introduction of guest speakers
· Mock newscasts
· Weekly interviews and story assignments
· Publication of school newspaper
Materials: (Every Day)
· Pen or pencil
50% News, Stories, and Projects
20% Nine Weeks Assessments
20% Daily Grades
Planning Period: Sixth Period
Monday, March 10 - Teacher workday
Tuesday, March 11 - Class will submit nine week assessment feature stories.
Wednesday, March 12 - Class will correct sports stories and work on next paper.
Thursday, March 14 - Class will work on layout.
Friday ,March 15- Class will begin publication of March paper.